How to Win and Make Money Playing Free Internet Poker Online
Millions of people across the world log in to online poker sites every minute of the day. Most people lose money. It is precisely this factor that makes it possible for others to win money. The sites themselves take a percentage of every entry fee or rake – they make as much money from winners as from losers. Winning at poker is not a matter of beating the site, but beating the other players.
Online poker odds are therefore the same as any other poker odds – mathematical calculations based on the likely distribution of cards. It is knowledge of these odds, and the self-control needed to play in accordance with them, which makes it possible for some to be winners, and for far more to be losers.
Make Money Playing Texas Holdem Poker Freeroll Tournaments Online
To start with, no money, or very little, needs to be invested. There are many reputable online poker sites including Titan, Pokerstars, PKR, Full Tilt, Celeb Poker and Party Poker. Some sites, such as Everest Poker and Doyles Room, will let players join without making a deposit. Others require a small starting deposit. No more outlay will be needed – and the deposit is often matched by the site.
There will be at least one daily freeroll – that is, a tournament which is free to enter but which pays real money prizes. There will also be “play money” tournaments throughout the day. The third avenue is low cost $1.00 tournaments. Since a tournament often lasts for several hours this will buy a lot of experience.
Begin by playing these free or very low cost games. Annette Obrestad, the youngest ever winner of the World Series of Poker, claims she worked up an internet stake of $100,000 without ever making a deposit; beginning with freerolls. This will give the player the experience needed to move on to the next stage.
Tactics to Win and Make Money from Playing Online Poker
The key to making the cash in these tournaments is to remember that most of the people playing will not be good players. That is to say, they will take risks and get themselves knocked out of the tournament early. This is because a large number of poker players do not consider the odds when betting. Even if the odds of winning a hand are 8-1, for example, and the player only stands to make 2-1 on their money, many players will still bet.
Because a large number of players will be knocked out of a tournament early, in a large tournament there is no need to bet at all in the first hour or so, unless a strong hand (Ace Jack or better) presents itself – in position.
If luck is good, progress can be made deep into the tournament. But if no premium hands present themselves and the blinds become large relative to the player’s stack (taking approx 1/5 of the stack), then an all in move should be made, in position, with a much wider range of hands – Jack high or better, suited if possible.
Use an Online Poker Odds Calculator to Improve Mathematical Knowledge of Odds
Online poker odds calculators can help quickly teach the value of different hands. The calculation the player needs to perform is what are the odds of winning the hand compared to the odds the player will be paid if the hand wins. This comparison is referred to as “pot odds”. If the odds of winning are shorter than the payout odds, then the player should generally make the bet.
One exception to this is when the player is very close to the cash, or to a big jump in the cash. It is very frustrating to go out “on the bubble” of the money, or of the final table, and it is worth passing up a marginal hand to make even a small cash.
Reading Other Players to Win at Texas Hold’em Tournaments
Some say that it is harder to read players online and it is true there are no visual “tells” available. But pay close attention to the betting patterns of opponents. If another player is very loose, and will raise, call and bluff with any two cards, do not let this tempt you to call their raise with a marginal hand. The other player may well get lucky. Even a hand of Jack Two, for example, has a close to 40% chance of beating Ace Ten. Early in the game, it is not necessary to call a bet with a hand that is only 60% to win.
If involved in a hand with another player, it is an extremely good idea to try to work out what cards they might be holding. This can be done by observing how they bet. If they have bet on the flop, either they have a hand, they hope to make a hand, or they are bluffing. Which is more likely given the sort of hand they would be likely to play at that point? Some sites, like Titan Poker, have a hand history feature which allows you to browse over other players’ betting patterns.
Playing Texas Hold’em Poker online and in live games is a lifetime’s learning experience. A new player is unlikely to make money quickly; it is a long game. It also takes a considerable investment in time. There are many tactics and considerations this article has not even begun to address. The key thing is, though, that unlike in online games of chance like Bingo and slot machine games, the skilled players always win out over unskilled players – in the long run. That’s why it’s possible to make money playing internet poker.